Chix Chat Pro Football


I was born to be a cheerleader. Not your average, run-of-the-mill Rah-Rah that jumps and yells on the sidelines, but the kind of cheerleader that catches you up in the moment; that makes you forget you aren’t actually the 12th man on the field.

So tell me then, why was I born in Milford, Delaware? With no home NFL team to speak of, let alone a tradition of fandom, of obsessive dedication to a city and its team.

The answer: Baltimore and the Ravens were waiting for me.

As soon as I stepped foot in this purple city, I was swept away by the spirit of football season. Before I knew it, I’d been to my first NFL game ever (Ravens vs. Cards, 09/23/07). Being there, chanting for them to move the chains, screaming HEAP for the first time and feeling the purple passion in the air as we won in the last seconds of the game. It was the closest I’ve even been to feeling a part of a professional team, like the Ravens really needed me to win.

And then the obsession set in.

If I don’t wear my Ravens underwear and socks, it’s almost certain that we’ll lose. If I don’t watch the game, or listen in the car, it’s my fault when we lose. My current hair color is brown and purple. My Christmas Tree is lit up purple and gold (and it becomes the Ravens Festivus Tree after Christmas, staying up for the remainder of the season).

I have been quoted (on more than one occasion) saying that I could never date a Steelers Fan. I had a roommate once that tried to tell me One Tree Hill would be watched over the Ravens game one Monday. She moved out at the end of the lease.

I spent four hours last Friday night cutting tons of felt Fu Manchu for a friend’s first-grade class. Not a Ravens fan? I don’t care, you’re still getting a “Ball So Hard University” Hoodie for Christmas.

Now I’m the girl that scouts non-football fans – to make them Ravens fans. There’s approachability to our team that not many other cities can claim. Ever been the new guy? So have the Ravens. Ever had a bad day? The Ravens have had bad seasons and managed to stay positive. Been called names? Yeah, the Ravens have, too.

With the playoffs upon us, I have the following thoughts as a five-year Raven fan…

First, I may not have been a fan during the 2000 run, but this is the most prepared I've seen us look since I signed up for Raven-Nation.

Secondly, as someone who was originally a bandwagoner myself, let's have open arms to new football fans and Ravens fans this week, you never know who the next Capt. Dee-Fense will be.

And finally, let's enjoy this week and Sunday in purple. We've all seen how well our boys play when they're having fun, and playing for Baltimore. We may not be on the field but we can affect the game. 

And we’ll wear our purple with pride, because some girls were just born to be Ravens fans.

9 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. I LOVE THIS! SO INSPIRATIONAL!

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. Love it!!!!

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. Awesome!!!!!!

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. I'm getting pumped just reading this! A true cheerlearder, you are!

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. Way to go football daughter. I'm sooo proud.

     
  11. Anonymous Says:
  12. Awesomly put!!

     
  13. Anonymous Says:
  14. Almost makes me want to change my colors! Way to go cheerleader.

     
  15. Jon Says:
  16. CAW!!!!

     
  17. Kosmo Krys Says:
  18. Oh Chica, I do love the way you think! Ravens fan know how to enjoy the sport and know how to show their pride. We will be there Sunday, bleeding purple! The 12th woman will root rant and rave our amazing Ravens on to victory! And will be wearing the best fan fashions in the league!
    I'm counting down the purple hours!
    Rave On

     

Post a Comment