Chix Chat Pro Football

Favored Sons

Posted by Monday, February 6, 2012

Although the Ravens came up short in their hopes of hoisting the Lombardi this season, Terrell Suggs and Matt Birk were rewarded in different ways.

On Feb. 4, NBC held an award show titled the NFL Honors. The show rewarded players and coaches on their individual performances throughout the NFL season in different categories. The award show was host to many athletes, coaches, and even celebrities.

Two Ravens in particular were both winners in their own category. Ravens C Matt Birk was named the 2011 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year. The award is given to an individual who is recognized for his off-the-field community service along with their excellence on the field.

“I am grateful to have played for two organizations, the Minnesota Vikings and Baltimore Ravens, which encourage and support their players' community efforts. I have always considered it a privilege to play in the NFL and serve the communities that support our game,” Birk said.

Joining Matt in the award limelight was LB Terrell Suggs, named the Associated Press 2011 Defensive Player of the Year. There were tons of other great nominees, such as Jared Allen who had a whopping 22 sacks this season. Then again, T-Sizzle was a complete beast this past season with Ravens 3rd ranked defense in the league.

“I want to thank my teammates, especially my mentor, my brother Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. I’ve got to thank the Ravens organization because not at all times I acted like a pro, but they stayed behind me, so I take my hat off to them,” Suggs said.

Suggs also went on to thank the fans of Baltimore.

“I’ve always said that I play for our fans, and this honor is a tribute to them. I’m very appreciative of Ravens Nation and their love and support throughout the past nine years.”

Suggs is the third Raven to win Defensive Player of the Year, joining Baltimore legends Ed Reed and Ray Lewis

0 comments

Post a Comment