Chix Chat Pro Football

Ray Rice: A Class Act

Posted by Friday, April 13, 2012

It takes a lot to render me speechless, but Ray Rice has done so. He's even made me want to shed a tear, and not while on the football field, by his grace. I am humbled (and that doesn't happen often either) by his commitment to not only his team, his fans, and his family, but to the community of Baltimore.

I have been following Ray Rice on Facebook for a while now and he is one of the few who actually runs his own fan page. There are posts from him often that vary from funnies to where he is going to be to things that weight heavily on his mind.

After this past week, I felt compelled to send Ray a message of my thoughts and give thanks. However, I chickened out because I'm sure he gets crap loads of messages, emails, and marriage proposals that my letter would be in the .5% that might even get to him considering at this moment he has 598,699 fans on Facebook alone. So, instead of sending it to Mr. Rice, I will share it with y’all.

Dear Lil' Ray-Ray,

I am not one to be rendered speechless often, but in the past month, you have done so on numerous occasions. My husband thanks you for this since he seems to always complain that I don't know when to shut up. I admit, I am a lurker (or stalker, whatever FB calls it) of your Facebook Fan page. I love your interaction with your fans and how you truly wear your heart on your sleeve. It takes a big man to do that and an even bigger man to wear it proudly.

Recently, you started taking an active role in becoming an advocate for the prevention of Bullying. I noticed from your posts that you were very troubled by the kids who have taken their own lives these past weeks in Baltimore alone. I have to say, this is a big thing to take on. I have an 8 year old boy who every day I worry that he will be the victim of Bullying. I worry because he is an easy target with having ADHD and Sensory issues. With your promise to do something about this, my promise to you is that I will try my damnedest to attend and help you with your quest in any way that I can. It might be from a far, but I am behind you 110%.

You’re currently holding registration for your one day football camp (Ray Rice Day) that is FREE to kids ages 7-13. My understanding from what I have heard and read, this is free, first come first serve, and open to ALL kids. It's sad that your website has crashed due to the high volume of traffic but is it really surprising considering how many fans you have? You have the heart of a Saint and the patience of a lion. Some of your fans I've imagined punching in the throat because of their greed and ignorance, others are just Steelers fans and that would just give me sweet satisfaction. I often chuckle when I see that you are warning people again that your fans are children too and that if they continue with the bad language they will be deleted. Good for you! Keep it clean, keep it real, and keep it fun. Bravo to you!

You are a man who has the power to make a difference and not afraid to do so. You do not use your fame and fortune to benefit yourself, you use it so that others benefit. If you are ever out and about in Baltimore and some member of Ravens Chix comes up to you and just gives you a big bear hug, with tears in her eyes and can't get out a “Thank You!”, don't worry it's just me (I don't bite, I promise) and also expect a handshake from the man beside me not only for all you do, but for the temporary silence.

I raise my glass to you! You really are a Class Act!

Sincerely,

Air

15 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Amen! You perfectly summed up the feelings of so many of Ray's fans. As a mom, I hope and pray my son learns from the example set by his hero. He's so geniune and that's a rare trait.

     
  3. Momma Mac Says:
  4. Loved this post. Loved it!

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. Incredible! I feel as if I wrote this...the author said exactly what I have been thinking; however, I could never have expressed it this well! I also have a son with ADHD and Tourette Syndrome. He is a fabulous child but I worry each day about bullying. Keep up the excellent work. Your passion and dedication, Mr. Rice, are more than appreciated!

    RH

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. I AGREE I JUST POSTED A COMMENT YESTERDAY ABOUT HIS FANS WANTING THERE CHILDREN TO GET IN FOR THE PARENTS NOT FOR THE KIDS, THEY WOULD USE THERE CHILDRENS DISABILITY TO GET SYMPATHY TO GET THEM IN.I LIKE YOURSELF HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD(AUTISM/MILD RETARDATON) AND I REFUSE TO PUT HIM ON DISPLAY SO I COULD SEE RAY. YES I LOVE HIM HE IS A GENUINE MAN AND A STAND UP GUY.AND YOU DO SO MUCH 4 THE KIDS. THANK YOU RAY 4 WHAT YOU DO FOR OUR CHILDREN.

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. Awesome post!! Thank you for saying what so many of us are thinking!!

     
  11. mommygirl Says:
  12. I could have written this exact post this week....Ravens Chix, I sent Ray Rice a message thru his FB page just a few days ago commending him for his stance bullying. Here in Harford County a group of young targets have formed their own support circle thru FB and really seem to be opening up and realizing they are not alone. The scary part is that I scrolled thru their stories, I recognized names. I wanted him to know this and to see what we could do to bring his Anti Bullying campaign to Bel Air. Within his busy schedule, Ray took the time to send back his thoughts! May I quote and repeat...Ray, you are a class act! It is very tough these days to find someone that you would like your children to learn more about, but I think I stop with Ray!! Maryland is lucky to have you!!

     
  13. Mary Says:
  14. This is fantastic!

     
  15. Denise Says:
  16. I was fortunate enough to meet Ray Rice on November 20th 2010.I won a trip with the Ravens.The game was November 21st versus the Carolina Panthers. We got to fly with the Ravens and since they were seated in the front of the plane on our flight out we couldn't really meet them.But we got to stay at the same hotel as them.Saturday afternoon my boyfriend and I were going through the lobby to see if we could see any of the Ravens.Lo and behold the 1st one I saw was Ray Rice sitting on the bench on his cell phone.But as soon as he got off the phone,I ask if I could get my picture with him.No problem then I asked for his autograph.No problem.He was so charming,and such a nice guy.I told him that where I work at we call him Mighty Mouse because he's so lightning fast.He told me his friends call him Spicy Ricey.He is a very nice looking man also.What a class act he's a role model for sure.I don't have any boys, but if I did I would have hoped that they would have turned out just like him. I wander if he can be cloned??

     
  17. Anonymous Says:
  18. Couldn't have said it any better.Ray is truly a class act.Having said that,if you look at the Raven Team as a whole,we have a Class Act organization from the whole team itself and the owner as well.Baltimore definitely has some serious Pride going on here!There aren't many other teams who can claim this fame!!!

     
  19. Anonymous Says:
  20. I couldn't agree more with the author's letter. Ray Rice is a role model of the highest standard yet he remains a very humble man. His family must be so very proud of him. I would like to add my gratitude for all he does for our community and for all he hopes to accomplish in the future. His hope for this anti-bullying campaign deserves help from all of us if it's only to take a stand against this in our own homes, with our own children and grandchildren.

     
  21. Anonymous Says:
  22. ray i just wanted u to i am a parent of a child who has went thru bulling and has tried to commit suicide because of it.she has alot of medical issues where she has a pooched forehead and 1 leg is a little longer than the other and shes 4ft10 and 270 .she just graduated a 5 month long program that deals with issues like u talk about and i have heard them talking about ur words in the meetings there.i just wanted u to know u are making a differance in lives and thank u.u should see her now in school with 2000 other kids and doing well

     
  23. Katherine B Says:
  24. I've been a Ray fan from day one and you are right; he is a great person...I know how you feel about bullying; my 7 YO son has developmental delays and hearing loss along with SPD so...it would've been nice to take him to an event like that but after I thought about it, I realized that the pushy kids would send him into sensory overload! I think more kids would bully less if we'd get back to simple family values...

     
  25. Mary Says:
  26. Beautifully written, Air. I love that you've had such a huge response!

     
  27. Anonymous Says:
  28. Please take out the line, (when referring to some greedy fans), imagining "punching them in the throat." It's rather crass and aggressive, especially when discussing the very serious issue of bullying. Just a thought. God Bless and thank you Ray Rice, we all adore you!

     
  29. Anonymous Says:
  30. Ray Rice has touched my heart and I have started an anti-bullying campaign in my school because I hate going to school and watching kids get bullied when I have been bullied myself, it is the worst feeling in the world and for Ray to start such a great thing means the world to me and many others! God Bless!

     

Post a Comment

GIRLS ON FILM

GIRLS ON FILM
Ravens Chix Captured on Video
There was an error in this gadget

Blog Archive

My Blog List